Diversity Amid Globalization: Regions, Development, Environment. 6th edition. Les Rowntree, Martin Lewis, Marie Price, William Wyckoff (2014). Prentice Hall
Globalization and Diversity: Geography of a Changing World, fifth edition. Les Rowntree, Martin Lewis, Marie Price, William Wyckoff (2016). Prentice Hall Pearson
Hardy Californians: A Woman's Life with Native Plants, Lester Rowntree (November, 2006), University of California Press
• an extensive biographical introduction by Les Rowntree and Rowan Rowntree;
• a chapter by Judith Lowry on the horticultural contributiions of Lester Rowntree's pioneering work;
• a bibliography, compiled by Rosemary Foster, of Lester Rowntree's 724 published articles;
• an updated species list by Allison Green;
• photographs of Lester Rowntree in the field and at home.
• Hardy Californians. 1936. Macmillian.
(reprinted in 1980 by Peregrine Smith)
• Flowering Shrubs of California. 1938. Stanford University.
Press (reprinted by the same publisher in 1948)
• Ronnie. 1952. Viking.
• Ronnie and Don. 1955. Viking.
• Little Turkey. 1955. Viking.
• Denny and the Indian Magic. 1959. Viking
First editions of "Hardy Californians" and "Flowering Shrubs of California" are difficult to find, however, used copies of the Peregrine Smith paperback reprint of "Hardy Californians" can be usually obtained from Internet used book dealers. As well, used copies of the children's books are often available. (Warning: a search for books by Lester Rowntree will also yield a whole bunch of used college textbooks written by me over the last 25 years)
As for the over 700 articles written by Lester, they were published in a wide array of journals, magazines, and newspaper, ranging from rare and even arcane botanical and horticultural journals to popular magazines such as "The Atlantic Monthly", "Colliers", and Sunday supplements to the "Los Angeles Times", "New York Times", and other wide-circulation publications, circa 1935-1962. As noted above, the UC Press republication of "Hardy Californians" will contain a full bibliography of Lester's publications compiled by Rosemary Foster of Monterey, CA. Ms Foster will also publish a collection of Lester's horticultural writings in a book by the California Native Plant Society.